Oldhams started from humble beginnings! At the end of the Second World War Bill Oldham started selling shellfish from a barrow in the Eastend of London. He opened one of the first fish and chip shops in the area in Asheville Road, Leyton in 1950 with a frying range so early in its design, that his wife Lil Oldham, had to shovel coal to heat the oil.
With the family moving out to Essex in the early sixties, it seemed natural for both sons Rodney and Derick to also work in the fish and chip trade alongside Bill. Rod bought Supreme Fish Bar in West Road, Westcliff in March 1967. This became the first fish and chip shop in the town to open a licensed restaurant on the premises.
The name was changed to Oldhams in 1984. However, throughout this time, Oldhams has always been known for the high quality of the food and service, winning a number of awards locally and even countywide in the National Fish and Chip Awards.